The Guidance Department at MSM is here to work with students on personal, social and academic concerns. We have two counselors who work with the same students through all four years. We make it our goal to get to know each of our students so we can best assist them to make their high school years as positive and successful as possible. We meet with our students individually as well as in small group seminar classes. The focus of the seminar classes is listed below:
- Freshmen: Preliminary career searches, starting the high school resume, transitioning to high school, some mental health topics are also addressed.
- Sophomores: Main focus is on career development - all students take the Harrington O'Shea Career Assessment which helps them narrow down career choices and investigate career options.
- Juniors: Beginnings of the college search and the college application process. By the end of junior year, students are assisted so they have a narrowed list of colleges to which they will be applying.
- Seniors: Continuation of the college search and application process, interviewing and essay writing skills, financial aid and scholarship information and what to expect in college.
We also have a Career Center where students come to work on researching majors, careers, and working on college applications. We have a full time Career Center Coordinator who works with students in the center.
Guidance Sponsored Events:
- Testing Day- Freshmen take PLAN, Sophomores and Juniors take PSAT
- College Financial Aid Night for Parents
- Junior Parent Information Night
- College Representative Visits
- Wellness Day
- Awards Day
- Career Speakers
- Career Field Trips
- Peer Leaders Group